Re: wrong time

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 22:54:17 -0500 (EST)

Ahh, you wish to change the behaviour of Squid. I thought you were asking
about it somehow calulating the GMT offset incorrectly. I don't think you
can make Squid report your local time (although there is some stuff in the
configure script that looked like it might have some control over this).
I'm not sure it would be a good idea to have Squid using local times
either... With 24 time zones out there Squid would have a very difficult
time figuring out what is fresh and what is not. Especially if you have
parent/sibling caches in time zones other than your own. Squid appears to
keep it's records based on GMT on all the objects (not sure here --
perhaps someone who knows the sources will add something), calculating the
GMT time if the object's time stamp is in someone's local time. This makes
sense since Squid can then do fresh/stale calculations using only one
definition of "time".

I suppose you could hack the source a bit to get Squid to report your
local time in error messages and in the cachemgr results. Those are the
only places that squid's idea of what time it is is really visible.

        -Bill