Re: Netscape stays blocked

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 21:48:20 +0800

> Hello all,
>
> I'm new to the list. I've been trying to find info about this in the FAQ
> /archives without success.
>
> Here's the problem:
>
> Netscape navigator (v3 and v4) blocks for a while when requesting pages
> with slow access time or high latency. This block continues until some
> kind of response is received from squid and may last even 5 seconds. The
> problem doesn't seem to occur with IE.
>
> Anybody knows the reason of this or any solution?
> I'm using Squid 2.0Patch2 on a Linux 2.0.35.

I only see this when netscape issues a resolver request and it
takes a while to reply.

If it has the proxy settings then it could happen if the nameserver
your unix machine is set to query takes a while to give a response,
but its more noticeable when someone is doing transparent proxying,
and the nameserver netscape is querying takes a while to resolve
the name of the website.

Try setting the proxy lines in your netscape config to the *IP* of
your squid cache and restart netscape, and see if it helps.

(It might be netscape flushing its disk cache too, if it continues
happening, try disabling disk cache..)

Adrian