Re: Squid cache size

From: David J Woolley <djw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 14:37:50 +0000

> Anyone can recommend me proper sizes for cache disc and mem?
> >From the docs I find out only that I need 5M of memory for each gigabyte
> of cache.
> The configuration is a PII/300MHz with 64M of RAM and 2 IDE HDD of about 4
> GB each. I currently serve 10 PC but I'd like to know like how much space
> is suitable for each additional PC.

That question is essentially unanswerable as it depends on how your
old and new users use the web. If they are all accessing the same
pages, virtually no extra space is needed. If they are mainly
accessing dynamic content, the cache may not be useful, etc.

For reference, a 486 SX 33 here, with 200MB of cache disk and 32MB of
memory seems to be able to support around 30 users in our company,
with no signs of distress (20 - 25% CPU load) and a cache lifetime of
about 10 days. It's currently using 18MB of memory, with a
configured memory cache of 8MB and has 23,000 objects cached.

If your users have the same profile as ours, I would suggest that you
need to greatly reduce the specification of the machine!

The only performance pluse we have is that the disks are SCSI,
although you could probably get as good performance by making sure
your two disks are on different interfaces (hda and hdc in Linux
terms). Really, though, your number of users doesn't require great
performance.

--
David Woolley - Office: David Woolley <djw@bts.co.uk>
BTS             Home: <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>