Re: squid-users-digest Digest V99 #34

From: Acacio Cruz [@dont-contact.us <[@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 15:38:30 -0500

> From: "Joerg Moellenkamp" <jm@nwn.de>

> I have two Ultra 1s, 170Mhz CPUs both doing a peak of 1500 TCP
> requests/minute (which is approx half the load on that 250, but only half
> the CPU).

> My median service time is under 400ms.

We're running Squid on Solaris x86 2.6 on PII-333, 384MB RAM, 80MB mem_cache
and 16GB caches. And running RAID0 by software using DiskSuite4.1.
We are eager to try 2.7 as the new filesystem option to do no accesstime
updates on files can be another major performance booster.

I have a 28ms median hit service time. :)

> Suns may not be the best platform for Squid, but they're not as bad as
> some people make out.

I doubt you can find a better OS than Solaris to run a squid cache.
Maybe, maybe, BSD and I still need to benchmark it to clear the myth.

The TCP stack is very good and very tunable. We got a significant
performance increase after tuning tcp_slow_start and tcp_mss_def
parameters. We gained some 10ms per TCP connection time after the tuneup.

We still have to test SPARC hardware. We're going to buy a AXi
motherboard and give it a try.

Acacio Cruz acruz@acacio.com
IT Consultant Personal WWW site: http://www.acacio.com
Dynamac Corp. PGP Public Key: http://www.acacio.com/~acruz/Acacio.pgp