Query re: cache_effective_user in Ver 2.0.4

From: Pramod Daya <pramod@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 19:33:43 +0200

I'm trying to start squid (Ver 2.0.4) as root, and it terminates with a fatal error "Don't run squid as root, set 'cache_effective_user' - but I have set cache_effective_user to squid, and the account does exist. Made sure it was using the right config file, using the -f option, just in case; am stuck and frustrated, some kind soul please help ?

( I'm trying to start it as root so I can autostart it via rc.d at boot time.)