Sun and Squid Cache and Async IO

From: John Sloan <johns@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 18:29:55 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, David J N Begley wrote:

> Have you dared give async-I/O a try?

Ah yes. Async IO. My average CPU useage increased noticeably when I
enabled it. For the request rate I'm seeing [peaks of 30/sec on average]
I needed to configure NUMTHREADS to be 64 in aiops.c before it wouldn't
moan about running out on a regular basis.

The effect on performance seems minimal when the system is not stressed.
However I have noticed a lot fewer peaks of bad performance (as monitored
by a periodic fetch and reload through the cache) than with async IO
switched off. Therefore for me it's a net win at the moment. If I was to
become CPU limited, it might not be.

Just my experiences. Anyone else have any worth sharing?

John