Accel Mode - Alternate Hosts and Peering

From: Tony Demark <tony@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 08:03:46 -0500

I am currently using Squid 1.1 on Solaris 2.6 to accelerate a dynamic
database-driven website and I wondering about the following situations:

(1) Squid "Appliance"

Our current setup has an Ultra 1 with 4 virtual interfaces (with different IP
addresses) - one for each independant web site. The web servers run on port 81
while squid runs on port 80 in accelerator mode configed to handle 'virtual'
hosts on port 81. This configuration forces squid to run on the same machine
as the web servers. Is there a way to accelerate a set of websites with a
Squid "appliance" machine sitting in front of N number of webservers with only
one instance of squid on the "appliance"? There doesn't seem to be a way in
1.1 and I can't find any documentation to that effect on 2.1 or 2.2. Assuming
the feature is not there, how hard would it be to add? (Maybe the addition of
a virtual_host mapping where you can map incoming IP addresses to downstream
servers:ports would be the ticket)

(2) Sibling relationship on accelerated servers

Are there any problems with setting two squids that are in front of two
identically configured (but different IP addressed) servers to treat each
other as siblings?

For example:

        www = 192.168.42.100, 192.168.42.200
        squid 2 has -> http://192.168.42.200:81/foo/bar.html
        squid 1 gets request -> http://192.168.42.100:81/foo/bar.html

        squid 1 asks squid 2 for object, squid 2 returns /foo/bar.html (even
        though the request came to a different IP address)

Will this work or will the differing IP addresses prevent this from occuring?

Thanks,
- Tony