Re: The Squid Cache (version 2.2.PRE2) died.

From: Cristian Stoica <chryss@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 18:26:25 +0200 (EET)

I've encountered the same problem. First if you wanna examine the core
the you have to enable first since the kernel 2.2.1 (& maybe other
versions) doesn't allow core by defaults. This can be easily accomplished
by "ulimit -c unlimited".
But my guess is that the cause for this is either the memory of cpu usage
under allocation of alot of disk space for caching.
First I set 3Gb of HDD for that using only 8MB of RAM, then I increased
the RAM to 15M (as the docs states, 5 megs for each gig of hdd) and the
number of crashes decreased alot. Finally I droppped to 2 partitions on 2
disks of about 100 megs each and since then I had no probs.
C.