Re: load balancig

From: InfraRED/Veres Tibor <infrared@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 23:19:28 +0100 (CET)

On 08-Feb-99 Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> InfraRED/Veres Tibor wrote:

>> If no fetch the page from one of the proxies in wheightened
>> round-robin
>> where the weight is dynamically changed to sum (average transfer speed
>> of
>> the last 10 requests sent to this proxy, not counting pages already
>> cached
>> by parent)
>
> Certainly if an ICP capable parent says it has something, then it will
> be
> fetched from there. For the second part, I believe that squid by default
> already fetches MISSes from the parent with the lowest average RTT which
> correlates with the transfer speed (although it is probably averaged
> over
> more than the last 10 requests).

        not exactly.. the RTT depends mostly on the bandwidth between me
and the parent proxy... which is several magnitudes faster than the
bandwidth between the parent proxy and the site I want to fetch the page
from..
I want this dynamic weighting because the avg bandwidth of these parent
proxies fluctuate

--
InfraRED of aurora-borealis/Veres Tibor
E-Mail: infrared@aurora-borealis.satimex.tvnet.hu