RE: Small question about the caching of password protected pages

From: Nottingham, Mark (Australia) <mark_nottingham@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 20:14:51 -0500

I've done extensive testing with recent versions of Squid, and can say
authoritatively that they do not cache pages with HTTP authentication.

If you can reproduce the behavior in a 'clean' environment (you see the
activity, you can confirm that the browser hasn't previously requested the
objects in the same session, you can confirm that the objects don't have the
headers mentioned), you might be on to something; it would be interesting to
find out what version of Squid were being used, as well as if there were any
other proxies in the path (the Squid might be using another proxy as a
parent).

Otherwise, I'd tend to think it was just a misperception/false report by the
user; they aren't generally reliable, doubly so with salespeople ;-)

If you can give me the URL of the site and a test user/pass pair, I'll be
happy to test it with a few different caches...