Re: McAfee virusscan update request problem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 09:43:57 +0100

Jeff Barrow wrote:

>... Requests are made by the McAfee virusscan update software
> itself, and I think it uses byterange requests... which are also
> uncacheable cgi calls with the users's registration code as part
> of the request). After a mere hour of attempting to service those,
> our T1 was flooded with requests because of those (there were 10
> requests going to that network at the time). After restarting
> Squid, the flow went right back to normal. (approx 800k/s)

We are aware of the problem, but as (to my knowledge) no one has helped
us to track down what these requests and replies looks like we have a
hard time fixing them.

It would be very preciated if some one could collect some relevant
information and send this to squid-bugs@ircache.net:
1. The request being sent to Squid by the client
2. The request being sent by Squid to the origin server
3. The reply headers received by Squid from the origin server

All this information is available in a Squid debug log of the session.

It is preferable if you can send the registration code as well so that
it can be timely tested if a fix really works (trust me, we wont abuse
it) but replace the sensitive information by XXXXXX if you can't.
squid-bugs is a closed list only reaching a handful of individuals that
Duane trusts.

---
Henrik Nordström
Spare time Squid hacker