Transparent Proxy on Linux

From: Chris Cheney <chris@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 08:47:59 -0600

Duane,

I would first like to thank you for creating the Squid Cache FAQ. However,
I believe there is an oversight in section 17 Transparent Caching/Proxying.
 Most distributions of Linux have routing disabled by default. Under the
Linux configuration information it does not mention that you must add this
line to the startup scripts:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

It took me a while to realize that this was what was wrong with my setup,
since I was able to get normal proxying working without having that set.

Thanks,
Chris