More on memory use...

From: <Per.E.Berger@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 14:59:37 +0100

Hi!

I am running a small proxy/cache for my workgroup (around 15 people)
and of course I want it to be blazingly fast! Sooo, I read the FAQ
about memory usage and found something that made me a bit
confused/concerned...

I am running FreeBSD 2.2.8 and squid 2.1-PATCH2 with the recommended
patches from Henrik Nordstrom's web site. Total memory in the system is
144 MB and squid has a 2GB SCSI disk mounted with the "noatime" option.
Memory is set to 10MB and the other memory values are default values.

What I am wondering is this: The FAQ says "If your RSS (Resident Set
Size) value is much lower than your process size, then your cache
performance is most likely suffering due to paging." Well, my "size"
value is around 18 MB and my RSS value is around 9MB (the cache is
newly restarted but the relationship between these values are always
about the same). I have seen that the "size" value seems to peek around
50MB and the RSS is around a third to half that value.

Should I worry? If yes, exactly what should I do about it? I read about
paging in the FAQ but it did not make me much smarter... The swap
partition on the system is not being used at all...

TIA!

/Per B