Re: bandwidth limit

From: David Luyer <luyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 16:42:22 +0800

Casper wrote:
> Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> > Casper wrote:
> >
> > > How can i limit squid's per-user and summary bandwidth ?
> >
> > delay pools.
> >
> > > From what version of squid is it available ?
> >
> > Squid 2.
> >
> > > What about 1.1.22 ?
> >
> > Unsupported. Most people have forgot 1.1.X specifics by now.. I think
> > there may be a 1.1.X patch implementing delay pools somewhere, but you
> > are most likely better off upgrading to Squid 2 (even if you don't use
> > delay pools) unless you have very specific reasons to why you should use
> > Squid 1.X.

To clarify...

DELAY_HACK (1.X):
  see ftp://ftp.uwa.edu.au/pub/squid
  latest patch was against 1.1.15, has some known bugs and limitations (eg,
  protocols not covered by delay pools, bad handling of 2 clients for one
  request, etc) but is quite acceptable otherwise. configuration options are
  more difficult to understand than in 2.X.

DELAY_POOLS (2.X):
  squid-2.0: i made a silly typo. don't use delay pools with squid-2.0.
    (alternatively, find the obvious 2 which should be a 3 in delay_pools.c)
    has the same small known problem as 2.1, and the 3 pool limit of 2.1.

  squid-2.1: should work pretty well by default, one known problem which is
    not serious (to do with IMS misses from memory, but not sure). has a 3
    pool limit, one of each type (type 1,2,3).
    a big change can be found in http://typhaon.ucs.uwa.edu.au/squid-diff-9.gz
    which fixes the known problem but also completely re-does a lot of the
    delay pools code, giving dynamically allocated delay pools for example.
    has been used at at least 2 sites heavily.

  squid-2.2: don't use the PRE2 or DEVEL3 versions (ie, the latest ones)
    if you want to use delay pools. you'll get a 'fatal' if you do a
    reconfigure. this is because three quarters of squid-diff-9.gz were
    merged, but one critical part was missed (maybe DW just found the code too
    ugly, but something needs to be done instead in that case - still waiting
    to hear what's happening here); hopefully when 2.2 reaches release we will
    have a bug and limitation free delay pools implementation in the main tree.

David.