Re: searching caches

From: Brian Beuning <bbeuning@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 22:20:08 -0500

Hi,

I am just working on a tool to dump information from the squid cache.
It is fairly simple, but is intended to be the foundation for other tools
that work with squid. For example, I want to use it to generate an HTML
file with a list of all the URL's in the cache sorted by last modification
time on the original server.

The tool is called squid-cat (and is only one original source file, and uses

the store_metaswap.c file from squid itself). It has these major options:

squid-cat -s, prints the Squid "meta" information about the cache file.
    The meta information includes the timestamp, lastmod times from the
    original server and also the URL for the file.

squid-cat -h, prints the HTTP headers from a cache file

squid-cat -b, print the body (as in the HTML for the URL) of the cache file.

    Be careful with this, if the URL is an image, you will get binary data
output.

It is meant to be used like this,
    cd /var/spool/squid/cache # or whereever you keep them
    find . -type f -print | xargs squid-cat -sh

to print all the squid and http headers for all files in the squid cache.

I am not happy with the output format yet, it prints "key: value" lines.
It would be more useful if it accepted a list of wanted information and
it printed them one value per column. Then shell/awk/perl scripts could
process the output easier.

In your case, you would use squid-cat -h to find the cached files that
contain HTML (by looking for Content-Type: text/html). Then use
squid-cat -s to get the URLs for those files, and squid-cat -b to get the
HTML bodies of the URLs and feed them into an indexing engine.

If you want to check it out, just ask.

Brian Beuning
bbeuning@mindspring.com