Re: dns expansion

From: Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 16:54:39 +0000

Dancer wrote:

> Bryan Call wrote:
> >
> > I have read the FAQ and seached the mailing list archieve and could not
> > find a resolution to the little problem that I have.
> >
> > When I am in Netscape and type "ibm" in the Location: and hit enter I get
> > The requested URL could not be retrieved. Is there a way to have squid
> > expand the domain name to www.ibm.com.
>
> With a redirector.

I don't believe that's enough - I believe that when netscape is configured
with a manual proxy, it prepends "http://" to it. But if using a direct
connection, or if using a Proxy autoconfiguration file that returns "DIRECT"
for unqualified hosts.

So if using a manual proxy by the time it reaches squid, its not clear what
the intention was - magic keyword lookup, or access your local host.

The only way to get this to work right is with an automatic proxy
configuration file. Works for me :-).

Jifl

--
Cygnus Solutions, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK.  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
"Women marry hoping their husbands will change, men||Home e-mail: jifl @