Re: ipchains - MASQ - transparent proxy

From: David J Woolley <djw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:48:44 +0000

> I am attempting to setup squid and transparent proxy with ipchains
> and kernel 2.2.x

Which brand of router is this?

> I have gotten the redirection part taken care of.... with
> some hitches. The URL that is requested of squid _never_ has
> the original host before it...

That's correct. Transparent proxying only has any hope of working if
the browser sets an HTTP/1.1 Host header, or sends the scheme and
host parts of the URL (also an HTTP 1.1 feature). Better still,
don't use it.

PS If you are using Linux, state the fact and quote the distribution
and version. Red Hat != Linux && Linux != All possible router
platforms && Linux != all possible Squid platforms.

--
David Woolley - Office: David Woolley <djw@bts.co.uk>
BTS             Home: <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>