RE: Raid0 vs Linear vs Multiple Cache Dirs

From: Nottingham, Mark (Australia) <mark_nottingham@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 00:52:02 -0500

Personally, I use multiple cache dirs; that way, if a disk fails, the other
ones are still online and cached (assuming you're using Squid 2.x). Mirror
is a waste of disk for caches, and linear makes the benefits above
disappear.

I even would make an argument against HW RAID; although I haven't tested
well, it would take a lot to convince me that RAID does better than Squid,
which knows a lot more about the makeup of the data, and can evenly spread
it across multiple disks.