RE: Adult Sites

From: Williams Jon <WilliamsJon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:44:47 -0600

One thing that we keep in mind when dealing with this issue is that it is
actually a behavior problem and not a technical one. When looked at in that
light, then the task becomes developing/purchasing useful reporting tools
rather than entering into the arms war of compiling a blocking system.

The basic concept that we're working with is that we've published our
Acceptable Use policy and we're requiring authentication and authorization
to use the proxy. We do use a product to block as many sites as we can, but
blocking becomes less of an issue once the users realize that their user ID
is being logged along with their traffic. We send reports to HR, and they
take care of the behavior problem. It doesn't really matter if we have high
accuracy in catagorizing the traffic, since all HR needs is a trend or a
pattern. If we can identify even 50% of the attempts to view smut that a
user does, and the user shows up in the report as viewing, say, 40% more web
pages than average, HR has enough information to have a chat with the user.
One chat is all it takes, and either the user corrects their behavior or HR
makes sure they're no longer a problem for us.

Granted, there really isn't HR in school systems, but the school board or
the principal should fill the same basic role.

Jon