Re: Required machine spec. for 20 clients?

From: Robert Moss <RM@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 14:17:29 +1100

> Shunsuke> Currently, I can make one machine dedicated to web
> Shunsuke> caching. That machine is: Pentium 90Mhz Ram 16MB IDE HD
> Shunsuke> 800MB PCI slots are available
>
>Shunsuke,
>
> I am running squid 2.1pl1 under TurboLinux 3.0J. The machine
>is a IBM PC Pentium 75, with 64MB of memory, and 1 gig for the cache
>disk. This is serving about 40 people. It performs just fine. Most of
>the time the machine is fairly idle. On average, I see about 100MB of
>traffic through it.

You don't need a huge CPU, but RAM and Disk access are your potential
bottlenecks, so make sure you have fast ram (preferrably 32/64mb SDRAM) and
a SCSI disk to give you the quick disk seek and read/write throughput.

>Note that my internet connection is through a 64k frame relay link to
>our head office in the US ( I'm in Tokyo ). I don't know what the
>performance would be like with more bandwidth. With 128k though, you
>will probably be fine.

If you only have a 64k pipe then you dont want any more bottlenecks, set
squid to cache as much content as possible by tweaking the refresh_pattern
rules, adding in .gif .jpg etc etc at a high value..