Re: Squid bug - Or machine problem?

From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 13:37:20 +0100

In message <36d930d8.136682557@smtp.shellnet.co.uk>
          steven@shellnet.com (Steven Fletcher) wrote:
> We were running squid-2.1-release for a customer's proxy solution with FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE, on an old P133, 16Megs RAM and 2.5 gigs of harddisk (1 gig allocated to the cache). They are also using it as gateway with simple IP route statements for a low traffic telnet system.

> Just this morning, I got a phonecall from them - the machine was 'beeping' every three seconds. The following was from the syslog files:
>
> >Feb 26 19:00:01 freebsd /kernel: swap_pager: out of swap space
> >Feb 26 19:05:01 freebsd /kernel: pid 5057 (squid), uid 65534, was killed: out of swap space
The machine has exhausted all of it's virtual memory. Every system is
quite helpless in such case and has to kill processes (like your squid).

You will have to increase your swapspace: Change size of any of your swap
partitiotions/file or add another swap partition/file.

If not possible: Maybe decreasing squid's or system's overall memory
usage may help. For squid see cache_mem, memory_pools and everything
else that deals with buffers ore memory in your squid.conf (this will
decrease squid's performance!)

Upgrade to 2.1PATCH2+patch-i-dont-know-anymore. Kill all processes you
don't really need, etc. Maybe there's a memory leak in one of the other
processes? Upgrade it if possible.

BTW: With 16MBs of RAM the machine may be paging/swaping like hell, if
possible upgrade.

Bye,
  Thilo.

--
Mir ist mein Signature entlaufen :-(. Wer es findet, sende es bitte an
Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE zurück. Danke!