Re: FTP ASCII/BINARY problem

From: Mogens Kjaer <mk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 09:45:39 +0100

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Mogens Kjaer wrote:
>
> > I don't understand this; why is it different from the user's point
> > of view whether or not his request from netscape goes through squid?
>
> When a browser uses FTP without a proxy, the browser decides on what the
> filetype is, but when you use a proxy then the proxy decides. FTP does
> not include any information on file types.
>
> The default configuration of Squid is binary transfer of text/plain
> content. Some browsers are known to translate text/plain contents when
> you save to disk, and to let the users work around this a separate
> download icon is provided which forces binary transfer of content type
> application/octet-stream.

Yes, changing the default in mime.conf to application/octet-stream fixed
my problem.

There is no separate icon to download binary in my case
as the link to the ftp site in question is from a URL on a homepage,
not from a directory listing produced by squid :-(

Thank you for the help,

Mogens

--
Mogens Kjaer, Carlsberg Laboratory, Dept. of Chemistry
Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08