Re: MS Proxy as a Squid client

From: ryan nelson <ryan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 19:43:50 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Justin Pietsch wrote:

> I am in the midst of creating a web caching hierarchy. We are using squid
> 2.x. Some of our clients will be using MS Proxy. Does anybody have
> experience with this? Any advise?

if you're in accelerator mode, and you depend on the "Host:" header,
microsoft proxy 1.0 will mess some things up...

it doesn't pass the host header. i had this problem where my accelerators
had one ip address each, and would accelerate for three different
webservers (call them www, images, and cgi)... this broke for MSproxy1.0
users, since they essentially just said

GET / HTTP/1.0
\n
\n

...with no host, and my squids said "But *whose* '/', silly?" and threw
an error.

microsoft decided to play by the rules with 2.0, but i'll still have to
have three ip addresses per cache forever, or i'll deny people with
old, broken proxy servers (who tend to be users who can't comprehend the
error messages, anyway...)