Re: Squid LOGs

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 20:40:45 +0100

Jens-S. Voeckler wrote:

> SWAPOUT means the object has been saved to disk.
> RELEASE means the object has been removed from the cache.

Note the difference of the wording above.

> storeUnlinkFileno(). It looks to me as if RELEASE really signals the
> removal of the file from disk.

The memory (cache_mem) is considered part of the cache. It caches error
pages and acts as a temporary store for uncacheable objects.

Releases of objects which only exists in memory are logged as RELEASE
with FFFFFFFF as swap file number. Disk releases are logged as RELEASE
with the appropriate swap file number. (swap file number is the hex code
immediately following the SWAPOUT/RELEASE tag). So most of the time you
can simply ignore any store.log entry which says "RELEASE FFFFFFFF", and
things should look a lot clearer. These RELEASE entries are of interest
when looking into why a object does not get cached.

And as many has said already: store.log should be considered mostly a
debug log to debug how the cache performs. Don't make conclusions from
it unless you have a fair understanding of how Squid maintains it's
cache.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker