Re: icp and telnet

From: Richard Stagg <squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 16:27:25 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Steve Devine wrote:

> I am struggling to get icp to work on squid 1.22 . Can someone tell if a
> correctly configured machine will accept telnet requests on the icp port?
> I am tring to use telnet as a troubleshooting tool. At this point my squid
> refuses the connection when I type in "telnet mybox.com 3130" from another
> unix workstation. Any help would be appreciated I have read the archives
> and am running out of ideas. Thanks

This isn't a good way to test; ICP uses UDP on port 3130; Telnet will try
to connect to 3130 using TCP. Hence you're not going to get a meaningful
result.

The best way to test it is to use another Squid box with the proxy in
question configured as a sibling. Fire some requests at the spare box and
watch the logs on the system being tested.

Rgds

Richard Stagg
Squid Administrator
squid@bae.co.uk