Re: ftp problem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 17:11:34 +0100

Radoslaw Stachowiak wrote:

> When squid (2.2pre) is used as ftp proxy, and browsers passes to him url of
> files to retrieve (ftp://ftp.server.com/directory/somfile.tgz) is there any
> possibility to specify passive/normal ftp connection?

No.

> Is it settable at runtime or only in source code?

Only in source. To disable the use of passive FTP connections, change
ftp.c
from
    ftpState->flags.pasv_supported = 1;
    ftpState->flags.pasv_supported = 0;

> Does squid use different program to do ftp retrieval?

No, it is a built in protocol.

> The problem arise during using squid from behind a firewall.

Probably a malfunctioning or mis-configured firewall claiming to support
but not capable of handling passive FTP connections.

I have made a patch which makes Squid retry the transfer without PASV if
it fails to esablish the data connection. See
http://hem.passagen.se/hno/squid/.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker