Re: Re: cache-digest against failover

From: pascal tscharner <pascal.tscharner@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 07:49:37 +0100

Hi Alex

The child has recognized it upon the cache.log from the child:

1999/03/05 17:30:58| Detected DEAD Parent: yom.test.ubs.com/8080/3130
1999/03/05 17:31:18| TCP connection to yom.test.ubs.com/8080 failed

It's just our guess that the requests are due to digests cause of the
FAQ:
http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/FAQ-16.html#ss16.2
Cache servers periodically exchange their digests with each other
When a request for an object (URL) is received from a client a cache can
use digests from its peers to find out which of its peers (if any) have
that object. The cache
can then request the object from the closest peer (Squid uses the NetDB
database to determine this).

That's the reason why we think the child make these requests...
In my opinion the message "Detected DEAD Parent..." should disable that
the child looks up the entry in this table(if it really does)

Cheers

Pascal