RE: Cisco Cache Engine compatibility

From: Barry Raveendran Greene <bgreene@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 09:57:42 -0800

Hello Sandra,

The short answer is yes. The caveat is that the Cache Engine(s) and Squid
Proxy caches need to be fit together in a caching hierarchy.

I've seen two example to have worked.

1. Cache Engine First - Squid Second. The Cache Engines are placed on the
edge of the network and transparently intercept customer's traffic. The
Squid Proxy Cache is used as a parent for the Cache Engines with ICP between
them. This has been used at sites with existing Squid Proxy Caches where the
ISP wants to migrate away from proxy configs. The Squid Cache migrates into
a "master" parent Cache clustering the request for all the Cache Engines.

2. Squid First - Cache Engine Last. In this topology, the Cache Engines are
places on the gateway router of the ISP. This allows all the Squid traffic
to be either intercepted by the Cache Engines or use ICP with the Cache
Engines as parents (a WCCP ACL on the router would allow the Squid traffic
to bypass the router in the ICP config).

Both of these creates a two stage cache hierarchy. Both have worked in the
field. The challenge is to use the strengths of each to complement each
other.

Hope this helps .....

Barry