Re: [squid-users] Re: No space left on device when there is space

From: Chris Tilbury <Chris.Tilbury@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 19:31:42 +0000

On Mon, Mar 15, 1999 at 05:04:12PM +0100, Ernst Heiri wrote:

> We had a similar Problem on Solaris 2.6 (sun4u sparc).
> A 'df' showed 19% free space (about 4 GB) but it was impossible
> to create one little file more in this filesystem.
> (There were plenty of free inodes left too.)

This is covered in the System Dependent Wierdness section of the squid
FAQ, at least for Solaris. It's to do with fragmentation. An "fsck -n"
on the raw disk device will show you how bad it gets.

> You have to check as root:
> fstyp -v </dev/your/device> | less
> the value for nbfree.
> If this value is 0 no file can be allocated anymore - no matter of how
> much free space 'df' shows.
>
> Theoretically it would help to reduce the block size to 4096 for this
> filesystem - but this is not possible for this architecure and not
> for Solaris 2.6 (at least).

The blocksize has to be an integer multiple of the pagesize of the
architecture, so you'll never see it drop below 8192 on the UltraSPARC.

Under Solaris, you can optimise the filesystems for space rather than
time and that will help matters somewhat. See the manual page for
"tunefs".

I'm not sure to what extent this applies to the original questioner,
who didn't seem to be running Solaris, however.

Cheers,

Chris

--
Chris Tilbury, UNIX Systems Administrator, IT Services, University of Warwick
EMAIL: cudch+s@csv.warwick.ac.uk PHONE: +44 1203 523365(V)/+44 1203 523267(F)