Re: FATAL:You've have run out of swap file number. Help.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 23:33:55 +0100

Philip Tong wrote:

> FATAL:You've have run out of swap file number

This message can be seen if any of the following is true
1. You are running an very old Squid release (<1.1.20)
2. You have a very small cache with a large amount of traffic.
3. Your cache has cached a large amount of tiny tiny files
4. You have fiddled around with store_avg_object_size in squid.conf.

Fixes:
1: Best action is to upgrade to a recent Squid version. Alternative
action is to set store_avg_object_size to 6 KB

2: Again, make sure you are running a recent Squid version. Increasing
your cache size is also a good option.

3: Lowering store_avg_object_size somewhat can help. The default setting
(13K) allows for a real average object size of 6.5K.

4: Don't ever set store_avg_object_size to a value larger than 13K.

The penalty for setting store_avg_object_size to low is a somewhat
higher memory usage.

> Does this have something to do with how I set my Linux box?

Nope. Only your Squid version & configuration.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker