Re: Memory Usage high

From: Graeme Wood <jaw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 15:06:33 +0000 (BST)

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Christian Krackowizer wrote:

> At 07:20 18.03.1999 -0500, you wrote:
> >> we're using 2.2DLEVEL3 on DEC Unix. Despite cache_mem is set to 36 MB's,
> >> squid is using up to 80 MB. At this point I killed to process.
> >>
> >Read the FAQ.
> >CACHE_MEM is the size for RAM cache only. Does not count overhead.
> >Set it to something like 8M. The amount of memory squid uses, is
> >dependent on CACHE_MEM plus the number of objects in the cache. The
> >number of objects is based on your storage capacity. Once your hard
> >drive is full, squid will stop growing so fast and eventually
> >stabalize.
> >

> I know that. But all older versions didn't have such an enormous 'overhead'.
> We've been using CACHE_MEM 48 MB up to 2.2DLEVEL3 without problems, reduced
> it now to 36 MB and still have trouble. I think a parameter which is set to
> e.g. 8 MB and actually use is e.g. 10 times more isn't a parameter ...

But it isn't and never has been a parameter to control the overall memory
usage of squid. It controls only the size of the memory that is used to
hold cached documents before they are written out to disk. I would be very
surprised if you were getting much benefit from setting it so high.

Graeme Wood Email: Graeme.Wood@ucs.ed.ac.uk
Unix Systems Support Phone: +44 131 650 5003
The University of Edinburgh Fax: +44 131 650 6552