squid never check against the source object

From: assa <assa@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 06:16:49 +0800

Hello,

Sorry for asking for the second times on the same subject/problem.

We still can't find the proper configuration for squid to "never
validate/check the cached object against the source object", unless the
object is expired from the cache or if the Reload/Refresh button is hit on
our web browser which will forced squid to fetch the object from the
original/source.

This "validate process" seems to slower our connection, because squid will
always spend few seconds per request for validate the cached object against
the original/source object. Our connection speed is modem leased line 19,2
kbps to our upstream isp.

To solve the above problem, right now we are using 2 machine for proxy. One
with NT & Wingate which the cache is stored, and the other one with FreeBSD
& Squid 2.2 DEVEL3 as wingate's parent. Our squid has 5 parents peering
from our upstream ISP which are running Squid 1.1.2 on all machines with 4
mbps speed to global internet.

Some of our squid tuned configuration are :
cache_peer upstream_isp.proxy1 parent 8080 3130
cache_peer upstream_isp.proxy2 parent 8080 3130
cache_peer upstream_isp.proxy3 parent 8080 3130
cache_peer upstream_isp.proxy4 parent 8080 3130
cache_peer upstream_isp.proxy5 parent 8080 3130
acl QUERY urlpath_regex .
no_cache deny QUERY
acl local-servers dstdomain our.local.domain
always_direct allow local-servers
prefer_direct off (this option was the reason why we use 2.2 DEVEL3)

Right now our proxy running well and worked as we want it to be, but we are
wasting 1 machine (the one with NT + Wingate) for holding all cache, since
there will be no cache stored on squid. Our squid is only peering to the
parents for helping us to have as fast as our connection can effort to get
the objects/sites from www via our upstream isp.

NT+Wingate+Cache <--> Squid with 5 Parents Peering <--> 5 ISP's Proxies

Is there any other configuration we can use to make squid 'never
validate/check' the object when it's already in the cache until it was
expired or Reload/Refresh button is hit from www browser ?

If there is no such configuration, maybe it should be added to the next
version of 2.2 RELEASE, because that configuration will be very much
helpfully for everybody who has bandwith limitation, like us.

Thank you in advanced.

Best Regards,

| ASSA |
assa@sulut.net