Re: cisco swtiches any prop?

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 15:08:38 +1100 (EST)

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Les Higger wrote:

> i am going to change my plan jane dumb tr mau's for swtiches..
> is there any switch or company i should stay away from. I dont want to
> have any crazyness with my squid box..

If you're essentially just going to move from your Token Ring MAUs to a Token
Ring switch doing nothing more than Layer 2 switching, then almost any
vendor's box oughtta work just fine.

Specifically addressing your subject line (Cisco switches), I can say that
they certainly work fine in our environment - though we're using FastEthernet
instead of Token Ring:

- Sun Ultra Enterprise 2, with 100Mbps full duplex UTP cable to switch
- Cisco Catalyst 5500 switching chassis, with C5RSM, ASP (ATM), &c.

We have two Squids setup like this (two Suns, each connected to a different
Cat5500) and both are running beautifully (no I/O errors, full 100Mbps FDX
autonegotiation, &c.).

Cheers..

dave