Re: On the fly compression

From: Andreas J. Koenig <andreas.koenig@dont-contact.us>
Date: 22 Mar 1999 12:19:28 +0100

> Notwithstanding all of this, if any of you want to sit down and solve
> these issues and contribute the code to squid, I'm sure it would be a
> good thing. The rest of us are feeling a bit off-put by the whole
> tangle, though.

If any of you want to sit down and solve these issues, it might be
worth a thought to think about Content Negotiation first. It's a bit
of a paradox that web servers that decide to actually implement
On-The-Fly-Compression are out of the business wrt to cache servers,
because they have to set the Vary header. So as long as Squid
discriminates servers sending compressed HTML based on the
Accept-Encoding header, I wouldn't encourage to program an
On-The-Fly-Compressing Squid.

--
andreas