How to set up one peer correctly

From: Pepijn Schmitz <p.schmitz@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 16:58:33 +0100

Hi huys,

Couldn't find this one in the FAQ: how do I set up my squid (2.1.patch2)
so that it will always go to another proxy when it is available, but go
direct when it can't reach the other proxy for some reason?

My setup is this: I'm on an intranet that's connected to our other
office over a 64 Kbps ISDN line. The other office has our internet
connection, and they're also running a proxy (squid 1.1.22). I want to
speed up our internet access by running a proxy on our intranet, and at
the same time conserve bandwidth on our internet connection by using the
proxy on the other side of the ISDN line.

When I tell my proxy about the other one with cache_peer parent, my
proxy appears to ignore it and always goes direct. When I tell it to
never_direct all it always goes to the other proxy, but quite often it
can't reach it for some reason or another and gives an error message to
the browser. I'd like it to go direct in this case, is that possible?

Another thing: when I set the ICP port to 3130 on the cache_peer line,
my proxy says that the other one is dead after a while, and the other
one's log says something like 'WARNING: 143 of the last 150 ICP replies
are DENIED'. Anyone know what's wrong? When I set ICP port to 7
everything seems to work fine (that is, without errors).

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Regards,
Pepijn Schmitz