Re: proxy a web feed

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 09:20:30 +0100

Lubna Sorour wrote:

> I have tried to implement transparent proxying with caching and I got the IP
> Filter package, but I cannot compile it because my system runs Digital UNIX.
> Does anyone know of a way to compile it on such a system or of any other
> package that would do the job?

The needed code may be part of firewall implementations or similar
products for Digital UNIX if you can't find a freeware that works

Even if you can't find TCP port redirection to your cache host you can
always build a smaller system using another operating system for which
you can find TCP port redirection, and use this system as a reflector to
the backend cache. There even exists hardware gadgets which can act as
such reflectors (TCP level switches with address translation or even
transparent HTTP proxying).

Good news is that if wpad gets broad acceptance, then transparent
proxying will perhaps not be that much needed.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker