Re: Mime ACLS?

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 12:12:02 +1100

Stephen Anderson wrote:

> I've skimmed through all the documentation I can find and I was wondering
> if it is possible to set up http_access deny rules that use Mime type
> acls? Specifically, I would like to block all audio/x-pn-realaudio
> transactions. Is this possible? Thank you!
>
> Stephen Anderson
> <stephena@HiWAAY.net>

Hmm. It's _possible_, but remember, until you've requested the object
headers, you can only guess at what the MIME type might be. Also, for
some objects (CGI-generated ones come to mind), the HEAD method isn't
understood, and you get the whole object anyway.

So, what you'd have to do is:
1. Do a HEAD request
2. If you get a whole object, or the HEAD request is not honoured or not
supported, what do you do now? Reject it? If you got the whole object,
it seems a bit of a waste to reject it now.
3. If you got headers, you can continue processing.

Hmm. Doesn't sound all that optimal. It's still _possible_ though.