Re: squid without dns-server

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 02:40:11 +0100

Gerald Erdmann wrote:

> Hmm, what about cache_peer? If I configure a parent by fqdn
> "squid -D" make dns queries during start up but if I work with
> an ip number no queries are made. Is it possible to suppress
> dns queries here?

Squid needs to be able to find the IP address of any peers during
startup, and periodically while it is running.

To workaround this I have my parents listed in the local host table and
the system configured to first look in the host table then DNS
(configured in /etc/nsswitch.conf). Another option is as you stated:
configure the peers using ip addresses in squid.conf.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker