Re: Squid and changing time

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 22:21:12 +0200

Hi

> I went in this morning and manually reset the time on my Linux
> server. It had changed for daylight saving but was still wrong.
> Shortly afterwards I noticed that Squid had quietly died. The trigger
> seems to have been the time change - I set it back by about 5
> minutes. Is this normal?

I have noticed this too. I think that it's very difficult to avoid:
there are a number of places where Squid does something like
"runtime = currtime - thisconnections.starttime"

This will give runtime a negative value if the time has changed
backwards. Avoiding this means all sorts of irritating checks in
strange places.

In short: run ntp on your server - I have never seen a problem when
the time changes by very small amounts all the time... it's only those
large time changes that do this.

(oh, you should run ntp anyway so that last-modified values returned
by other servers make sense)

Oskar