Accounting

From: Marc Lucke <hohums.list@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 12:58:23 +1000

OK. This may be a silly question.

I have Squid set to do trans-proxy. That is going very nicely. I have,
though, found that the byte-hit figures reported via SNMP are not exact as
yet in 2.1PATCH2 as discussed with Glen & Henrick.

On sound advice, I leave my Cisco 2503 router alone in the redirection
process & use ipfwadm to do it all. This also works quite nicely.

I had the thought that I might get better stats by configuring ipfwadm as
follows:

(1) ipfwadm -A in -i -P tcp -S 0.0.0.0/0 80 -D <my proxy IP address>
(2) ipfwadm -A out -i -P tcp -S <my proxy IP address> 8080

What I thought I was doing was getting:

(1) Stats for any web traffic coming into the proxy server from anywhere on
port 80 (naturally!)
(2) Stats for all traffic served from the proxy server port 8080 to
anywhere

Well, of this I'm fairly sure. However I get the results for:

(1) 15 mb
(2) 6550 kb

This tells me that the traffic going out of my proxy is not greater than the
traffic coming in by a huge factor. In fact, getting percentages at various
intervals, it seems that what I am actually getting stats for is:

(1) Stats for any web traffic coming into the proxy server from anywhere
(2) Traffic served by the proxy on port 8080 from its cache

Can anyone confirm my thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Marc