Re: udp_outgoing_peer (was: udp_incoming/outgoing_address)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 05:44:46 +0200

Jan Wedekind wrote:

> An ICP request from location A (192.76.144.30) will leave
> the server with an address (192.76.144.113) which is also configured
> at location B (192.76.144.140).

Now I see your problem. You do not have a sound TCP/IP network. You
can't make a working configuration because you have the same IP address
active on both nodes at the same time. What you really need is multiple
ICP ports to allow Squid to listen for ICP queries on multiple
addresses, or a smarter clustering method which does not have the same
IP address active on both nodes at the same time.

Squid currently supports peering with clients on one address and peering
with parents on another. Extending this to allow receiving queries on
multiple addresses is planned.

Another way to solve your problem would be to use different networks for
the official (client announced) addresses and the machine addresses, and
have client traffic routed throught the right announced interface. That
way you can get the desired effect of multiple TCP ports without
actually having Squid support it.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker