cache_peer parent not working, timingout

From: Miguel A.L. Paraz <map@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 19:28:29 +0800

I set up a squid 2.1patch2 system, with a cache_peer set for an older
squid 2.0 box as parent. However, from access.log, the parent is not used.
I turned on full debugging and it shows that the parent didn't reply fast
enough. I tried setting sv.cache.nlanr.net as a parent but that didn't
work either.

It's only when I use never_direct that the parent is used.

Any clues?

Thanks,
---m