Re: HTTPS + HTTP Accel mode ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 03:45:15 +0200

Joshua Chamas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have squid in accel mode to a same/virtual host, so that
> it is port 80 reverse-proxying to a port 81 www server. Great!
> It works like a champ.

I doubt it does. Running the backend server on another port is rarely a
good option due to the number of situations where the backend server
sends a redirect which moves the client off the accelerator.

> But, I am lacking the understanding of the conf files to
> also take ssl requests on port 443, and forwarding them
> to another server port 444.

Why would you want to do such a thing? SSL can't be accelerated and
adding application level forwarding only slows things down.

If you really want to do such a thing, then get yourself a efficient TCP
plug daemon, to relay the server port.

> Is this possible ?

Yes. But not with Squid.

> Can I do this w/o having some separate rewrite process ?

You can't rewrite SSL requests in any way. They has to be passed
straight thru full duplex between the server and client.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker