Re: Squid performance on the bake-off

From: Durval Menezes <durval@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 00:47:57 -0300 (EST)

Hello,

> > Ok, there's the Unix FS handicap to account for, but we are talking
> > about _more_than_six_times_ the performance, and in any case the tradition
> > says that a well-tuned FFS (as is the case with FreeBSD) approaches 50%
> > of the hardware maximum transfer rate.
>
> The problem is not so much the transfer rate, it is the fact that
> we are dealing with massive numbers of small files. They are the cause of
> the bad performance with a normal file system, just as the would be with
> any multipurpose file system.

Ah, the famous average 13KB web object... ok, most FS benchmarks are done
with large files, I forgot that.

> > Based on my experience with Squid, neither that CPU nor the disks can
> > explain a 545% diference, but just maybe (depending on the total size
> > and distribution of the cacheable data), perhaps 100% more RAM can
> > explain at least a part of it. And the cost for twice (or even four
> > times more) the RAM would be negligible, specially if compared to other
> > alternatives (more/faster disks, etc). I'm ignorant enough about the
> > Polygraph benchmark to be unable to elaborate further.
>
> The amount of RAM can explain none of it. Doubling the RAM in the
> machine was just not an option, it would have required a entirly new
> machine (512MB is all that fits on that motherboard).

Hum, I thought the machine had only 256MB (2 x 128MB DIMMs).

> I have rerun the same tests that were run at the Bake-off back at
> our lab on alternate hardware with twice the RAM and a great deal more
> disk and CPU power and gained nothing, as long as we are using UFS. The
> machine at the Bake-Off was not thrashing at all. Not that I am claming
> that Squid did its best at the Bake-Off, I believe that Duane had about 10
> minutes to set up the machine and decide what request rates to run. We
> were all rather busy and it was not a priority.

Ok, no criticism meant on my part. I'm darn sure it couldn't possibly be
better, everything considered.

> A few simple tests have shown that with alternative file systems
> we have done a great deal better. Profiling the machine while runing with
> UFS shows the thrashing that occurs in the file system. As we have said
> before a custom file system will allow us to remove the major bottleneck
> from Squid. Which will then start showing where Squid is inefficient and
> other UNIX issues that are slowing us down. At the moment Duane is working
> on SquidFS and when he has the time to get that finished we should start
> being able to make squid much faster.
>
> People should remember that at the rates that squid exibited at
> the Bake-Off it would quite happily service 5MB/Sec. Which is more than
> enough for most Squid users.

5MB/s is about half a 100-base-T LAN, and a little less than two E3's...
guess it's more than enough for most uses, including mine... :-) And one
can always gang two or three or more machines together.

Best Regards,

--
   Durval Menezes (durval@tmp.com.br, http://www.amcham.com.br/~durval)