Re: Best way to cache mirror sites

From: Oleg Makarenko <oleg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 15:04:00 +0400

Thank you for your mail.

Do you mean local http server by "local redirection"?

But I don't want to maintain my own local mirror while I do want to increase hit
ratio somehow.
One way is to use redirector to redirect all request for any mirror to one
preconfigured site.
But then if the target server is down all mirrors seems to be down for a client
and that is exactly what
I want to avoid.

Is it possible to make squid to consider some sites as "aliases" to each other
when it looks for objects
in the cache? That is not a redirection as for misses I want squid to go to the
original requested site.

www.somesite-
             - mirror1.somesite
             - mirror2.somesite
             - mirrorN.somesite

How can I make squid to store mirror1.somesite/object as www.somesite/object in
the cache?
So that when client asks for mirror2.somesite/object squid checks for
www.somesite/object instead and if it misses
it goes to mirror2.somesite and stores the fetched object as www.somesite/object
again. And so on.

Is that possible?