Re: HTTP1.0/HTTP1.1, persistent connections

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 01:58:12 +0200

Ted_Rule@flextech.co.uk wrote:

> I vaguely recall a posting - probably from Hendrik Norstrom -
> indicating that although Squid honours the HTTP/1.1 persistent
> connection request, it will only issue HTTP/1.0 style non-persistent
> outbound requests - partially defeating the usefulness of the feature.

You got me wrong then. Squid 2.x will only issue HTTP/1.0 style
persistent outbound requests (Connection: Keep-Alive).

> If it is possible for Squid to issue HTTP/1.1 requests, is it possible to
> 'proxy' an HTTP/1.0 request from a client into an HTTP/1.1 outbound
> request, and again would this have any benefits or drawbacks?

Connection persistanse is maintained separately between
browsers<->proxy_servers and proxy<->upstream (parent/origin).

* If a HTTP/1.1 client or a HTTP/1.0 client capable of persistent
connections connect to Squid then the client connection will be kept
open.
* If Squid connects to a server capable of HTTP/1.0 style persistent
connections then the server connection will be kept open.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker