Squid in Accelerator mode

From: Bernd Hilmar <bernd.list@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 13:52:48 +0200

Hello folks,

I'm new here and I have a few questions about using squid in accelerator
mode.
First of all I have read, that it is not a good idea to run the squid and
the
apache on the same server, but I tested it, and the webserver seems to be
very very fast using squid.
I like to use squid only as accelerator cache, not as a proxy.

we have IP-based virtual Hosts, and I configured squid as recommended,
running
on port 80 and set all the hosts on port 81.

The problem is, that every environment variable, and also the logfiles are
showing only one remote IP Adress, and this one is the originally from the
machine, and not from the remote clients.

Also requesting a protected directory defined in the access.conf the
dialog
box comes up twice, first the usual dialog for authentication, and then
for port 81.

Is there any way to configure squid that in my apache logs and in the
enviroment variables the original IP Adress from the remote client is
shown,
and that the authentication is only used once?

bernd hilmar

-------------bernd hilmar.webmaster-------------

* WebHosting Provider * Database Programming *
* Interactive Sites * e-commerce Solutions *

WebService: http://www.ostry.com
WebHosting: http://hosting.ostry.com
Quick Shop: http://www.quickshop.at
:OIS Ostry Internet Solutions Vienna/Austria
bernd@ostry.com Phone:+43-1-877 74 54-26