SSL proxying and MS IE 4.01

From: <Martin.Robbins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 14:05:21 +0200

Hello,

We have some problems with MS IE 4.01 handling SSL via a round robin
proxy hierarchy, it doesn't very well.

Is this a known feature of Internet Explorer and is it possible to continue
use round robin, as is a main part of the redundancy of our system.

Our setup has two internal squid cache's and two external netscape cache's
acting as parents seperated by a FireWall.The internal cache's can only talk

to the external cache's and use equal round-robin'ing. Squid version is
2.1-PATCH2 on Sun Solaris 2.6 and Netscape 3.52 on Sun Solaris 2.6

Using MS IE (4.72.3110.8) and use round robin CONNECT
for SSL then intermittently the following error occurs in the browser:
(This is a rough translation from German I am afraid)

===
   Internet Explorer could not open the following site:

   https://www.teledata.ch/secure/Logon-vertrag-D.html

   Their is a problem with the secure conenction
===

If I turn the round robin off for SSL using cache_peer_access then all is
fine.

Netscape 4.x works perfectly, it seems to main affect large SSL sites.
Small sites tend not to generate the message at all. If you ignore the
error you can carry on browsing, but bits of the page are missing. These
can be manually re-loaded.

Many thanks for any information or help.

---
Martin Robbins
CIT-SEO-131
Swisscom AG