Re: Does squid eat much of CPU?

From: David J Woolley <djw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 13:10:56 +0100

> Now I use squid version 2.1 PATCH2 on Linux 2.0.36. Since this morning,
> I have suffered from the overloaded CPU. Its utilization has been over

Squid does have quite a high standing CPU usage.

> 90 %. This makes the internet surfing through squid very slow in
> comparison with direct connection.

This does not necessarily follow. Your problem might be that
requests are being serialised down a persistent connection, so that
you get one image at a time, rather than a bit of each all at once.

> How can I solve this problem?

First establish what is the real problem (at least tell us the cache
size, memory size and processor type and speed, so we can tell
whether you are overloading the system - check the page fault rate as
well).

If the standing CPU usage is the problem, I think you can reduce the
rate at which squid does its housekeeping operations.

--
David Woolley - Office: David Woolley <djw@bts.co.uk>
BTS             Home: <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>