Re: Why doesn't cookies work?

From: Glenn Chisholm <glenn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 13:27:23 -0600 (MDT)

> > > I note that Hotmail is only Microsoft-owned, and still running
> > > Apache on Solaris because NT couldn't do the job.
> > You mean Apache on FreeBSD, not Solaris. AFAIK, Solaris is used for
> > the mail spools (NFS?).
>
> Also, the reasons why they aren't (weren't?) running NT are not likely
> NT, it is more likely the HotMail application heavily depends on Apache,
> which in turn is (was) not very portable outside the POSIX/UNIX world,
> which is very different from Win32. Prehaps the same is also true for
> the HotMail application itself, and it is very much true for Squid.

Doing somoething I despise, responding to a completly off topic thread on
a mailing list. However I just have to have a swing at Microsoft :)

        In a leaked report, sources close to Hotmail said: "... its whole
        mail server infrastructure is Solaris. NT couldn't handle it. On
        the web server, they're running MP Pentiums and Apache on FreeBSD.
        They're moving to Solaris for threads. The engineering team did
        its best to run NT - and failed. The issue's being escalated."

I find it hard to believe that the porting of an application to NT was not
done due to complexity or lack of POSIX compliance in NT. I find the above
quote rather easy to believe. On top of that I am yet to see any denials
from Microsoft. Of course if anyone on the list has real inside knowledge
feel free to continue this off the list.

glenn